Lynbrook Station was opened as Pearsall's Corner Station on October 28, 1867 by the South Side Railroad of Long Island. The name became Pearsall's in April 1875 and Lynbrook in 1893. In 1880 the station became the northern terminus of theNew York and Long Beach Railroad, a railroad line that was acquired by the LIRR and became the Long Beach Branch in 1886. When the NY&LB was added the station gained the "PT Tower", which controlled the junction with the Montauk Branch until 1910, when Long Beach Branch tracks were extended to Valley Streamstation. The station was rebuilt in 1881, electrified on September 8, 1910, and then remodeled sometime in 1920, only to be razed in 1938 as part of a decades-long grade elimination project along the Montauk, Atlantic and Babylon Branches. The third and current elevated station is 1,113 feet west of its former location and opened on October 18, 1938.
Platforms and tracks
This station has two high-level island platforms. The 12-car north platform, Platform A, is between Tracks 1 and 2 of what the railroad calls the Montauk Branch, generally used by Babylon Branch trains. The 10-car south platform, Platform B, is between Tracks 1 and 2 of the Long Beach Branch. There are four tracks until the two branches split immediately east of the station.
The station is listed on timetables and maps, as being served by both Long Beach and Babylon Branch trains. Both Long Beach and Babylon Branch trains stop there hourly (every 30 minutes when combined) on an alternating basis during off-peak hours. Peak service is about every 20 minutes or less. Late night service is every two hours.